TYPOGRAPHY - FINAL COMPILATION AND REFLECTION

TYPOGRAPHY - FINAL COMPILATION AND REFLECTION


28/08/19 - 27/11/19 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Chan Jing Wen (0340480)
Typography
Final Compilation and Reflection


INSTRUCTIONS

Exercises
Project 1
Project 2
Final Project


SUBMISSIONS

Exercises

Lettering

Figure 1.1 "Lost" - Final Outcome of Digitalized Lettering


Figure 1.2 "Lost" - Final Outcome of Digitalized Lettering (PDF)

Figure 1.3 "Lost" -  Final Outcome of Animated Lettering (GIF)

Type Expression

Figure 1.4 Final Outcome of Type Expression (JPEG)


Figure 1.5 Final Outcome of Type Expression (PDF)

Figure 1.6 Final Outcome of Type Expression - GIF (Explode)


Project 1 - Text Formatting and Expression

Figure 1.7 Final Outcome of Layout (JPEG)


Figure 1.8 Final Outcome of Layout (PDF)


Project 2 - Font Design

Figure 1.9 Final 14 characters on a baseline

Figure 1.10 Font Information

Figure 1.11 God is in the kerning (JPEG)


Figure 1.12 God is in the kerning (PDF)


Final Project

Figure 1.13 Me holding the protest board

Figure 1.14 Still Image (JPEG)


Figure 1.15 Still Image (PDF)

Figure 1.16 Framed Poster

Figure 1.17 Animated Still


REFLECTION

Experience

As I was reading back all my reflection for the previous post, I really recalled a lot of memories. Before I enrolled into Taylors, my understanding of Typography was definitely different than now. To be even more serious, I couldn't even understand why Taylor's provided a class for Typography as I thought that there wasn't even much to learn about it. The first day of class was definitely scary. I didn't even know how to use a blog and I didn't even bring my laptop. Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul told us so many things and I was so lost. At that point I thought I would fail this module and was already considering to leave design for good. However, through all the exercises and projects we've been given, I feel like I've really improved. Not to say that I think I'm good now, but I've definitely grown a lot! I would never have thought that Typography would become my favourite subject among all when I actually step foot in Taylor's not knowing why I had to take it. And to be very honest, I didn't really feel like I was very stressed by the work load. Somehow I think this module is less stressful than the others, which I know almost none of my classmates agree. I think it might be because I really enjoy writing in the blogs, which people are usually stressed about. Overall, this module really sparked my interest in learning more about Typography!

Observation
I noticed that I started to look at typography more often when I'm outside. I would notice some details that were mentioned in class. For example, I would look at a poster / magazine cover and observe how they design their typography. In the past, I usually look at the overall composition and didn't really care too much about the typography. Based on the little knowledge I have right now, I try to apply it to use when I have to create something for my club and society in Taylor's. I would actually use kerning if I find spaces awkward and I feel bothered when people use weird typeface or distort typeface. I also noticed that I'm more familiar with Adobe applications now. Typography is the module where we use most of the Adobe applications and we started using it ever since the first week. Before this, I've never really used these applications but through Typography I'm more familiar with the functions in the applications and am more confident in using them. Not only am I more confident in using these applications, I'm also getting more faster in designing stuff. I remember struggling at the beginning because I was very slow in producing ideas or even sketching out the ideas because I was very afraid that it wouldn't look good. Now, I just try my best to do what I can and am not afraid to try as mistakes help me improve and know what I should work on.

Findings
I find that Typography class is the class that gives the most feedback as feedback is given every week and usually every one of us will receive feedback. I was very stressed out during the week I was sick because I couldn't go for class and I felt very lost for my assignment so I think I shouldn't skip class in the future. I also find some books really helpful. During the creation of typeface, I actually made a lot of mistakes in the beginning but after reading one of the books it actually gave me direction and I definitely knew more about how I could improve my typeface. However, I find that most of us really had no time to read the books in detail as we really had a lot of work to do even for other classes so we (or maybe just me) actually would just skip to chapters that were relevant to the topic we were on for that week. I also think I can definitely improve more on focusing on the details as typography takes note on a lot of details.

Comments

Popular Posts