PUBLISHING DESIGN - FINAL COMPILATION AND REFLECTION

PUBLISHING DESIGN - FINAL COMPILATION AND REFLECTION


31/03/21 - 29/06/21 (Week 1 - Week 14)
Chan Jing Wen (0340480)
Publishing Design
Final Compilation and Reflection



INSTRUCTIONS

Task 3B - Ebook



SUBMISSIONS

Task 1 - Exercise

1. Text Formation


Figure 1.1 Text Formatting (PDF)

2. Mock Up Making

Figure 1.2 Book Size Exploration (JPG)

Figure 1.3 Final Book Mock Up (JPG)

Figure 1.4 Final Book Mock Up - Open (JPG)

Figure 1.5 Final Book Mock Up - Rubber Band Binding (JPG)

Figure 1.6 Final Book Mock Up - Flipping (GIF)

Figure 1.7 Final Book Mock Up in Comparison to Other Size Exploration (JPG)

3. Van De Graff

Figure 1.8 Van De Graff on Paper (JPG)

Figure 1.9 Digital Van De Graff (JPG)

Figure 2.1 Digital Vann De Graff with Text (JPG)

Figure 2.2 Text only, Turning Off Van De Graff Guidelines (JPG)


Figure 2.3 Van De Graff Submission (PDF)

4. Signature Folding System

Figure 2.4 Signature Folding - Front (JPG)

Figure 2.5 Signature Folding - Back (JPG)

Figure 2.6 Signature Folding - Folded (JPG)

Figure 2.7 Signature Folding - Folded, Middle Spread (JPG)

Figure 2.8 Signature Folding - Flip Through Trimmed Version (JPG)

Figure 2.9 Signature Folding - Side Comparison of Untrimmed (L) and Trimmed (R) (JPG)

Figure 3.1 Signature Folding - Edge Comparison of Untrimmed (L) and Trimmed (R) (JPG)

5. Determining Grids


Figure 3.2 Determining Grids (PDF)


Figure 3.3 Determining Grids without Spread (PDF)

6. Form & Movement


Figure 3.4 Form & Movement Spread Thumbnail (PDF)

Figure 3.5 Form & Movement Spread (GIF)


Figure 3.6 Form & Movement - Colour Thumbnail (PDF)

Figure 3.7 Form & Movement - Colour (GIF)


Figure 3.8 Form & Movement - Image Thumbnail (PDF)

Figure 3.9 Form & Movement - Image (GIF)


Figure 4.1 Form & Movement - Text Thumbnail (PDF)

Figure 4.2 Form & Movement - Text (GIF)

Task 2 - Content Generation


Figure 4.3 Final Content Generation (PDF)

Final Visuals:

Figure 4.4 Visual 1 - Blending In (JPG)

Figure 4.5 Visual 2 - Childhood (JPG)

Figure 4.6 Visual 3 - Counselling (KPG)

Figure 4.7 Visual 4 - Define (JPG)

Figure 4.8 Visual 5 - Finishing Line (JPG)

Figure 4.9 Visual 6 - Happily Ever After (JPG)

Figure 5.1 Visual 7 - Hide Your Differences (JPG)

Figure 5.2 Visual 8 - Indecisive (JPG) 

Figure 5.3 Visual 9 - Little Things Don't Matter (JPG)

Figure 5.4 Visual 10 - Never Ending Loop (JPG)

Figure 5.5 Visual 11 - Odd One Out (JPG)

Figure 5.6 Visual 12 - Possibilities Limiting Me (JPG)

Figure 5.7 Visual 13 - Running Away (JPG)

Figure 5.8 Visual 14 - The Future (JPG)

Figure 5.9 Visual 15 - They Know Me Best (JPG)

Figure 6.1 Visual 16 - Wishes Don't Come True (JPG)

Figure 6.2 Final Visuals Thumbnail (JPG)

Figure 6.3 Final Visuals Thumbnail (PDF)

Task 3A - Book

Figure 6.4 Printed Front Cover (JPG)
 
Figure 6.5 Close Up of Binding (JPG)

Note: Cover design was not finalized before test print. The Cover seen in Figure 6.3 and Figure 6.4 is not the final cover design.

Figure 6.6 Look of Spread 01 (JPG)

Figure 6.7 Look of Spread 02 (JPG)

Figure 6.8 Flip through 10 seconds (GIF)

Figure 6.9 Close Up of Back Cover (JPG)

Figure 7.1 Final Book Cover (JPG)


Figure 7.2 Final Book Cover (PDF)

Figure 7.3 Final Spread 01 (Left Page is the Back of the Cover Page) (JPG)

Figure 7.4 Final Spread 02 (JPG)

Figure 7.5 Final Spread 03 (JPG)

Figure 7.6 Final Spread 04 (JPG)

Figure 7.7 Final Spread 05 (JPG)

Figure 7.8 Final Spread 06 (JPG)

Figure 7.9 Final Spread 07 (JPG)

Figure 8.1 Final Spread 08 (JPG)

Figure 8.2 Final Spread 09 (JPG)

Figure 8.3 Final Spread 10 (JPG)

Figure 8.4 Final Spread 11 (JPG)

Figure 8.5 Final Spread 12 (JPG)

Figure 8.6 Final Spread 13 (JPG)

Figure 8.7 Final Spread 14 (JPG)

Figure 8.8 Final Spread 15 (JPG)

Figure 8.9 Final Spread 16 (JPG)

Figure 9.1 Final Spread 17 (Right Page is the Back of the Cover) (JPG)

Figure 9.2 Final Spreads (PDF)

Figure 9.3 Final Book Cover and Spreads Thumbnail 01 (JPG)

Figure 9.4 Final Spreads Thumbnail 02 (JPG)

Figure 9.5 Final Book Cover and Spreads Thumbnail (PDF)

Final E-BOOK:



Click here if the embedded e-book is not working.

Task 3B - Ebook


Figure 9.6 Final Brand Guidelines (PDF)



REFLECTION

Experience :
I feel like I had quite a good experience in Publishing Design. I was already quite anticipated to take it before actually starting the module because of the book design. I am always very slow at illustrating things, and illustrating in general scares me. I really wanted to see if I could survive this module when I found out that we have to do so many visuals in such a short amount of time. The module was quite hectic, especially at the beginning when the exercises and projects were ongoing concurrently. Even so, I feel like I've learnt a lot from the module. I've grown a slightly better understanding on the topics that were taught. Although there are still a lot of things I can improve on, I'm glad that I tried my best to do what I can for each and every task. I also think my skill sets for the Adobe softwares have increased a bit more in this semester with the help of this and other modules. Overall, I'm just very happy for everything in this module. 

Observation :
Since the modules for specializations were smaller, I got to really look at what my other classmates were doing. I notice myself being more observant on what others are doing and what I can do differently. I really liked a lot of my classmates' work, and they really do inspire me to be better. I also notice that I'm very reliant to Ai through this module, and I really hope that I'm able to learn more in other softwares too. I think it's important that I'm able to use multiple softwares since somethings can really be done more easily in other softwares. Another thing that I noticed is that I'm very reluctant to be different. I always try to play safe with my designs because I'm worried that what I'm doing is wrong. I really think I need to start stepping out of my comfort zone more and try different things.

Findings :
I find it really important to have people critic my work. I like how some of my friends are very direct with what they like and dislike about my work. It either helps me pinpoint the things I need to focus on and revise, or encourages me to keep going. I find that I'm really weak in photography (finding images and taking pictures too), finding suitable typefaces, and brainstorming things from nothing. These things take me a lot of time, and I really need to work on it even though I'm not sure how. Also, looking back at all my previous work from previous semesters as well as this, I think I should start doing work in the morning rather than rushing everything midnight because I made zero sense. I don't understand what I'm writing. There's so many grammatical errors. I should sleep. Maybe next semester.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts